Thursday, March 1, 2012

Book Burnout

I haven't been doing a lot of reading lately.  I have been trying, but I just can't do it.  First of all, things have been very hectic around here and then Josh came down with pneumonia so I just haven't had time.  But the big problem is the books have just not been good.

I've been reading a lot of books provided by authors for reviews.  Don't get me wrong, some have been really good.  But lately, most have just not been great or just not my taste.  I was really worried I was on the verge of burnout.  I dreaded reading and that scared me.  What would I do if I don't read?  Reading is a huge part of my life.

So, after finishing this last book, which I really did not enjoy, I decided to take a break and read something I wanted to read.  I've had Lothaire by Kresley Cole sitting on my nightstand for awhile now.  I love her Immortals After Dark series.  Last night I picked up Lothaire and began to read.  WOW!  Now I know what is wrong with me. I am not on the verge of burnout.  I don't hate reading!  I hate reading sub par work!  Reading Lothaire was like a breathe of fresh air!

It is so nice to read a book that flows smoothly and enables you to see the scene clearly in your mind.  I did not have to keep stopping and re-reading sentences/paragraphs to understand what the author was trying to say.  Words weren't missing, spelled wrong or used incorrectly.  Identities were assigned and quotation marks were actually used in conversations! Yes, I read a whole book this past week where I never had a clue who was speaking because no names/identities were ever used with the conversation and the author never used quotation marks!

Example:      -What's up?
                     -I'll tell you later.
                     -All done!
                     -Shall we go?
                     -Let's roll!
                     The five of them headed out to the car.

I kid you not, that is how the conversations were written.  How the hell I am supposed to know who is speaking?  I am just so tired of trying to weed my way through bad books.  In all honesty, I can't solely blame the authors.  Where the hell are the editors?!  Is our education system so bad now that this is the future of writing?   It's not just books either.  Have you tried to read the newspaper lately?  The writing is laughable!

I will end this with a big thank you to authors who truly care enough about their work to spend the time to write properly and hire editors who are competent. Thank you!!  It makes reading so much more enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment