Thursday, January 19, 2012

It's been a year in AK

This past week I have been really sick with a high fever.  In my fever induced hazed, I totally missed our one year anniversary in Alaska.  We got off the plane and had our first experience with -40 at 2am on January 16, 2011.  My first thought was "holy shit, what have I gotten myself into?"

The first two months were rough, trying to live out of a hotel and not having any luck finding a rental property.  Once we bought the house and were able to settle down, we started to get into the swing of things.  It's been hard adjusting to a new place, hell, a new life, on my own.  Alaska is like no where else I have every lived, and it's not just the weather that sets it apart.  It truly is like living in another country.  Living in Germany was easier.  I think the hardest part for me here was having to admit the military community has changed a lot over the years and it is not as it was when we lived overseas or anywhere else.  Once I got over that disappointment and made an effort to make my own life and friends outside of the Army, things greatly improved.

I am extremely grateful for the friends I have made here, Speedway for giving me a place to relax and unwind, and for everything I have learned so far.  I look forward to the next few years here and if Jason has his way, retirement here.  I'm in a good place in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment